Dec 31, 2015

"10 Items to Include in Your Gift Bags for the Homeless"


Hello Peeps!

So I thought I would do a follow up for #50 on my bucket list, which is to hand out bags to the homeless. (to find that article, click this link: http://my-bonny-bucketlist-2015.blogspot.com/2015/11/50-hand-out-blessing-bags-to-homeless.html)

I had a thought, if I'm going to inspire my peeps to go out and do good in the world, I'm going to have to give details and tips to make their journey safe, pleasant, and fun. So here it is, in detail. Here are 10 Items to Include in Your Gift Bags for the Homeless. 


  1. Toothbrush and Toothpaste. This is one of the items overlooked usually. Some of life's basic and daily luxuries are not given to the homeless. Never take for granted something that you do out of habit every day.
  2. Wet Wipes. These can be a life saver. Wet wipes come in handy for more than wiping off that super sticky bar-b-que sauce. They're used to clean dirty hands, face, feet and other general body parts, as well as cleaning a wound. Wet wipes, or better yet, baby wipes are a real necessity here.
  3. Hand Sanitizer. Obviously, to keep hands clean when water is not readily available.
  4. Peanuts. Peanuts are proven to be a healthy and filling snack. They also are a really good source of protein and energy.
  5. Peanut Butter Crackers. Again, the peanut butter will give a boost of energy and is a great filler and snack!
  6. Bottled water. I try to put one 20 ounce bottle of water or two 6 ounce bottles into the bag, then give an extra bottle for them to drink later or use to wash their hands and/or face.
  7. Mints. Candy is not a good idea for the bags. The more sugar in the candy, the quicker it will melt, and trust me, they will melt. Lollipops will take longer to melt, but will definitely draw ants and other pesky bugs. Also, the person you are helping likely will not have access to a dentist, so any types of taffy are (again) not a great idea..
  8. First Aid Kit. I found these bad boys in Walmart (in my town) and they're only a dollar a pop! They include band-aids, alcohol pads, burn cream, and a couple other basic necessities for a kit. You never know what nicks and cuts they may have. To prevent infection, drop one of these in their kit and they'll appreciate it
  9. Chips. Because what American does not love chips! Snacks=Nom nom!
  10. Inspirational Scripture/Quote. I personally like to put a scripture in the bags basically letting them know that they are loved. I don't want to be preachy, I just want them to have something to look at, read, and remember that they are in the thoughts of a complete stranger. 
As a side note, be sure to check with you state's laws. Some states prohibit donating food to the homeless. In North Carolina, for example, you can be fined and jailed. I'm not sure why, it's really sad, but be careful!

I hope this inspires you to do good in your community. Did I miss anything? Let me know below. Feel free to comment as well!

Be inspired, Peeps!


No comments:

Post a Comment